Monday, March 19, 2012

HITLER WOULD HAVE LOVED YOU

In 1983, a Toronto-dwelling furniture upholsterer named Tony Jeffery began recording music in his mother's basement after his wife and children left him. He recorded hundreds of songs that never saw the light of day for over two decades. In 2008, a friend suggested he put his music on Youtube. He put on a silly costume and filmed himself lip-syncing to a few of his songs. He posted them under the moniker Tonetta and soon began to garner quite a bit off attention.



Although his music suggests (to my ears, at least) hints of Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Captain Beefheart, Ween, and the Frogs, Tonetta claims that he has pretty much avoided listening to music or watching TV since he started recording in '83. "I don’t think [those things] would help at all because it would probably make me sound more like other stuff, you know what I mean? If I listen to music it’ll make me sound like these people."




Black Tent Press started releasing his material a couple of years ago but he still records on whatever cheap-ass equipment he can get his hands on and he's never played a live show.




Tell me this isn't sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment